dir="rtl" lang="ar"> gemeente best – vediloans
Site icon vediloans

gemeente best

Advertisements

Gemeente Best is a town and municipality in the province of North Brabant, located in the Kempen region. The territory of the municipality used to belong to the municipality of Oirschot, but was split off from it in 1819 to form an independent municipality.

The place is geographically located on the junction Eindhoven – Tilburg and Eindhoven – ‘s-Hertogenbosch. Within the municipality boundaries are 2 other cores: Aarle and De Vleut. The municipality of Best is part of the framework region SRE.

In the region many clogs were once made, this is still visible in the many poplars in the landscape. There is also a reference in the name during the carnival: Klompengat. Shoe factory Bata and later Philips Medical Systems have made the village grow very strongly.

History Gemeente Best 

The first inhabitants who lived on Best’s territory date back to 1700 B.C. This is evident from excavations in the Aarlese Heide south of the Wilhelmina Canal. Other finds date back to the Celtic Culture such as urns from the La Tènet period of 500 BC. In one of the found burial mounds a form was found that strongly reminds of the construction of Celtic temples. In another burial mound, forms and traditions from the older Bronze Age of 1700-800 BC were discovered.

Best originally belonged to the municipality of Oirschot and consisted of the hamlets Naastenbest and Verrenbest. In addition there were the hamlets Aarle and De Vleut, which have retained a rural character to this day.

Initially there was a wooden chapel, allegedly at the place where Saint Odulphus was born. A document from 1378 makes the first mention of this chapel. However, church services still took place in Oirschot. The chapel could be replaced by a stone building in 1437. A rector for this chapel was appointed by the chapter in Oirschot. However, he was only allowed to celebrate masses during the winter season. This command was circumvented by appointing a substitute who celebrated mass during the summer season.

Frictions with the chapter culminated in a raid on the chapel, ordered by the chapter, during the celebration of mass in 1497, during which money and mass supplies were stolen. This led to a verdict of the ecclesiastical court, convicting the dean of Oirschot. The friction with the chapter stemmed from the impending loss of income for this Oirschot institution.

The independent St. Odulphus parish was finally established in 1553, with which the chapel was promoted to church. In 1628 the wooden St. Anne’s Chapel in Aarle was replaced by a stone building. However, after 1648 the church and chapel were requisitioned by the Protestants. The Catholics could move into a barn church in 1672, but on 31 December 1794 the Catholics reclaimed their original church. This was thus the first church to be returned to the Catholics, since the return of the church was not officially arranged until 1798.

In 1828 Joannes Zwijsen became pastor at Best. In 1856 the presbytery was built which still exists today, and in 1864 the Sisters of Charity came to Best. In 1882 the new Sint-Odulphus church was consecrated, the construction of which began in 1880. At first they wanted to keep the tower of the old church, but it was comparatively too small. In 1884 the new tower was built, but with it the original historic church had disappeared.

The Sint-Odulphus church was severely damaged during a shelling by the German occupiers on October 17, 1944. The liberation of Best by the 15th Scottish Division took place on October 24, 1944. By 1960, the steeple had been restored and a number of other restoration projects of the church took place thereafter.

The patron saint of Best

St. Odulphus is the patron saint of Best. His life is closely interwoven with the folklore and tradition of Best. The first documents concerning the worship of Odulphus in Best date from 1421. The earliest year that can be linked to the worship of Odulphus is 1150. A letter from around 1480 mentions that the relics of St. Odulphus were moved in 1150.[2] A legend recounts that at a young age, still in training in Oirschot, the saint once missed out on a prize and then doubted his ability to finish the training. On his way home, he met an angel who gave him a golden apple, upon which his self-confidence returned. The field in question was called Odulphusakker.

Currently St. Odulphus is on the municipal coat of arms of Best. The local marksmen’s guild is also named after the saint.

Nature and Landscape

While to the west of Best there are moorland clearings on which a new housing estate has sprung up, to the south of Best there are some dry areas, which are intersected by the Wilhelmina Canal, the Beatrix Canal and a number of freeways. Although partly converted into industrial estates, part of the Aarlese Heide has remained intact. This area, mainly covered with coniferous forest, connects to the military training area of the Oirschotse Heide.

To the south, on the territory of the municipality of Eindhoven, lies the Ekkersrijt, a partially excavated stream. In the east there is the Nieuwe Heide, a mainly coniferous sandy area, in which there is a fens complex: the Langven. There are also some heathland remnants. There are marked walks here that start at the Joe Mann nature theater.

North of Best, in both eastern and western direction, stretches an old cultural area, in which we find old hamlets such as Aarle and Vleut, with some beautiful longhouse farms. This is the domain of the former clog industry. To the north this culture area changes into the nature areas of Het Groene Woud, consisting of more or less humid deciduous forests, alternated with pieces of culture land, on loamy soil. This area is excellent for cycling.

In the vicinity of Best one can find Knolsteenbreek here and there.

Economy

Although Best was originally mainly an agricultural municipality, it has developed into an industrial municipality due to its favourable location near canals (the Wilhelminakanaal and later the Beatrixkanaal), traffic routes and a railroad. In the last decades of the 20th century several highways were built which led to side effects such as the construction of several tall advertising masts. The railroad was routed through a tunnel along the center of Best, which meant that the town was no longer split in two and also reduced noise pollution.

Originally the clog industry developed, thanks to the wealth of poplars, but later an important shoe factory was established by the Czech company Bata. This was followed by branches of the jersey company Tricotbest, which today is an underwear wholesaler, and the contracting company IBC, now merged into Heijmans IBC. Among other things, this company makes prefabricated concrete elements. B&G Best is a major manufacturer of fencing and access security systems. Makro in Best is a hypermarket for retailers with a card system that is used so flexibly that many private individuals also do their shopping there. Brabant Pers (now part of Wegener) has a large printing plant for newspapers such as the Eindhovens Dagblad. The jewel in the industrial crown, however, is the establishment of Philips Medical Systems, a division of Philips that manufactures advanced medical equipment such as NMR scanners. In 2007, approximately 2,500 people worked here, as well as 500 external workers. Best is the central development and production center for Philips Medical for X-ray (including surgery and cardiovascular systems), magnetic resonance (MRI), and medical information technology systems. More than half of the employees work in product development.

The Sint-Oedenrode-Schijndel-Veghel-Best area has always been an important clog center. This was partly because of the very suitable soil for planting poplars, a tree that, along with willow, provides the best wood for making clogs. Best had 23 clog makers in 1850. Now Best still has a few of these, with mostly mechanized labor. Best once housed a museum about clogs. Shortly after 1900, the clog industry declined sharply. This was due to the import of cheaper clogs from Belgium on the one hand, and the rise of the shoe on the other. Best has known other industries besides the clog industry, such as butter and cigar production, brick manufacturing, and some woodworking industries.

official website : https://www.gemeentebest.nl/

FAQ (frequently asked question)

What country is Gemeente Best located in ?

Gemeente Best is located in The Netherlands.

What is the population of Gemeente Best ?

At the moment there are 29507 inhabitants in Gemeente Best ?

How many men are there in Gemeente Best ?

There are currently 14,712 men living in Gemeente Best ?

How many women live in Gemeente Best ?

There are currently 14794 women living in Gemeente Best ?

What is the average age of a resident of Gemeente Best ?

Today the average age of a resident of Gemeente Best is 43 years old.

How many babies are there in Gemeente Best ?

There are 1,487 babies in Gemeente Best today. There are 724 girls,
and 761 boys. By babies we mean small children up to 4 years old.

How many babies are there in Gemeente Best ?

As of today there are 1501 little children in Gemeente Best. There are 770 boys and 730 girls. The children are between 5 and 9 years old.

How many children are there in Gemeente Best?

Today there are 1566 children living in Gemeente Best. There are 804 boys and 762 girls. The children are between 10 and 14 years old.

How many teenagers live in Gemeente Best?

There are 1,672 teenagers living in Gemeente Best today. They are people from 14 to 19 years old. There are 813 girls and 858 boys.

How many long-livers are there in Gemeente Best?

Today there are 5 long-livers in Gemeente Best. They are people who are more than 100 years old. There are 0 men and 4 women.

Source

Exit mobile version